AUDITIONS & EMPLOYMENT
All positions for the 2019/20 Season have been filled. Information for the 2020/21 Season audition will be posted in Fall 2019.
About Smuin Contemporary Ballet
Smuin Contemporary Ballet offers 35-40 week competitive dancer contracts, presenting approximately 70 performances per season.
A staple of the San Francisco dance community for over 25 years, Smuin pushes the boundaries of contemporary ballet in bold, new ways, combining classical ballet training, technique, and artistry with uncommon physicality and expression. Recent repertoire includes works by: Michael Smuin (founder), Amy Seiwert, Jiří Kylián, Trey McIntyre, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Helen Pickett, Val Caniparoli, Ma Cong, Garrett Ammon, Adam Hougland, Darrell Grand Moultrie and others.
Digital Content Manager
Smuin Ballet seeks a driven candidate with a solid understanding of Bay Area markets, and the tenacity to expand the Company’s reach in a competitive performing arts landscape. This full time position owns the digital content and planning across web and social, developing and executing an integrated strategy across all social media platforms to drive audience retention, engagement and increase traffic to all Company sites.
In partnership with the Marketing Manager, this position works cross-departmentally to produce and create engaging, thought-provoking, and creative content, driving broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The individual who fills this role must be able to work in a collaborative environment while also thriving independently to complete projects on deadline.
- Develop engaging and timely content for all social media platforms promoting Smuin performances, enhancing brand recognition and building relationships in key online markets.
- Research new marketing and social media tools to both attract new followers and retain the current fan base.
- Create robust, integrated strategies for patron acquisition and retention on social media to build strong, consistent customer engagement and advocacy measuring against KPI (key performance indicators e.g. likes, re-tweets, sharing content).
- Communicate monthly qualitative and quantitative reports on social media performance driving actionable insights for future efforts.
- Partner with Marketing Manager to develop engaging and varying content for the Smuin blog, including writing, interviewing and supervising/editing guest writers.
- Attend workshops and seminars to network and keep up-to-date on changing social media practices.
Media and Archives
- Video, photograph and edit behind-the-scenes footage, events and other activities for promotional materials (e-blasts, YouTube, website, social media…).
- Partner with Marketing Manager to coordinate all photography and video artists for season brochure and performances, as needed.
- Organize and manage media (raw footage, final edits, approved photos, etc.)
- Maintain Company’s library of performance archival DVDs.
- Attend Smuin Ballet performances (evenings and weekends – some travel) as needed. May include set up/break down, hosting information table, selling merchandise, etc.
- Assist with annual fundraising Gala and other special events, as needed.
- Special projects, as assigned.
Minimum of 2 years’ experience in marketing and/or advertising or proven relevant experience. The successful candidate will have significant knowledge of the dance industry as well as the non-profit and/or cultural arts sector. A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or a related field is preferred. The ability to work occasional evenings and weekends is required. Possess in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and best practices.
- Exhibit ability to utilize both the creative side and analytical side of marketing; ability to demonstrate why ideas are analytically sound.
- Graphic design skills and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, video editing software and G-Suite required.
- Website development/editing experience a plus.
- Maintain a working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research.
- Must have a strong grasp of the latest editing software, techniques and visual trends.
- Creative mind with strong execution skills.
- Must have excellent time management and project management skills in order to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of dance and the performing arts preferred.
Smuin Contemporary Ballet is offering a salary of $45,000 – $50,000. Benefits include a medical plan, as well as paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave. An employee-contributed retirement plan and Commuter Checks benefits are also available.
To apply, please send résumé and cover letter to [email protected]