AUDITIONS & EMPLOYMENT
Saturday, February 22, 2020
Smuin Center for Dance
1830 17th Street, San Francisco
11:00am – 2:00pm Audition
Audition includes ballet class (women en pointe), partnering and repertoire. Select audition candidates may be invited to join Smuin company class on Sunday, February 23 for callbacks.
Women 5’2″ – 5’6”; Men 5’ 8” and over.
Candidates must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Please send CV, photo, and video link to [email protected] prior to audition. Include name/audition in subject line (i.e. Tina Ballerina/audition).
Smuin Contemporary Ballet offers 35-40 week competitive dancer contracts, presenting approximately 70 performances per season.
Recent repertoire includes works by: Michael Smuin (founder), Amy Seiwert, Jiří Kylián, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Trey McIntyre, Helen Pickett, Val Caniparoli, James Kudelka, Ma Cong, Stanton Welch, Garrett Ammon, Adam Hougland, and others.
About Smuin Contemporary Ballet
A staple of the San Francisco dance community for over 25 years, Smuin pushes the boundaries of contemporary ballet in bold, new ways, combining classical ballet training, technique, and artistry with uncommon physicality and expression.
Development Manager (fundraising)
The Development Manager is responsible for advancing relationships with annual supporters, leading the planning and execution of Smuin’s annual gala and other events, and increasing Smuin Ballet’s institutional giving.
The Development Manager is a full-time exempt position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Individual Donor Annual Giving
- Manage all aspects of annual appeals – holiday, subscription, and fall
- Coordinate engagement activities with Marketing and Development teams to promote superior patron and donor experiences
- Prospect research
- Participate in one-on-one donor meetings
- Manage electronic giving methods
- Participate in networking opportunities
- Manage and maintain the fundraising features of Theater Manager database for gift processing and donor relations
- Manage gift acknowledgments
- Research foundations, corporate and organizational prospects and implement a strategy to cultivate and increase Smuin’s base of support
- Write proposals, letters of inquiry and report narratives
- Work with Artistic & Managing Directors and Development Director to develop, identify and articulate program goals and funding needs
- Manage foundation/corporate calendar; update as necessary
- Maintain supporting documents for proposals – board list, 990, etc…
- Build and steward relationships with program officers and other institutional giving personnel through invitations to events, updates and other touches
- Collect and input data for California Cultural Data Project with bookkeeper
- Maintain calendar and communicate cash flow to Administration and Artistic & Managing Directors, and accounting items to the bookkeeper
Events and Performances
- Manage all aspects of season events including fundraisers, cultivation, stewardship and other events:
- Annual Gala
- Post-show receptions
- Studio previews
- Patron dinners
- Rehearsal events
- Other events as decided upon
- Staff shows throughout the season including staffing the information booth, giving backstage tours, and other duties
- Create and distribute weekly donation report
- Create donor list for each performance program
Skills and Qualifications
- 2+ years of development and nonprofit experience preferably in the performing arts including:
- Grant writing success
- Donor database management, especially Theater Manager, Greater Giving & Classy
- Event planning and execution
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google applications
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Systematic thinker with impeccable follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal skills and “can do” attitude
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Enjoy working as a team member as well as independently
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to Deb Glazer, Development Director, at [email protected]